The FSA of Ireland has warned holiday makers visiting the West and South-West Coast of Ireland of the dangers of gathering and consuming wild shell fish growing on the sea shore. The warning follows reports to the FSAI in the past number of weeks where over 10 people in Galway, Sligo and Mayo have become ill with suspected symptoms of shell fish poisoning.
The Authority suspects that these reports are linked to the harmful alga-blooms that are occurring naturally along the West and South West Coast.
According to the FSAI some residents and tourists engaged in the recreational gathering of shell fish in the region may be unaware of the danger of consuming shell fish they come across on the shore-line. Eating shell fish contaminated with toxins can lead to people suffering nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea and stomach cramps. The effects are not life threatening but can be particularly severe for older people, young children and people who may already be ill.
The FSAI have advised consumers that they should not gather or collect bi-valve shell fish (mussels), oysters, scallops, cockles and clams themselves. Shell fish should only be purchased from reputable suppliers.
Speaking today about the warning from the FSAI, Liam Moloney, Product Liability Solicitor in Naas said “wild Shell Fish found along the West and South Coasts may contain naturally occurring toxins that cannot be removed through cooking alone. Eating shell fish contaminated with these toxins can lead to significant injury. Anyone suffering from these symptoms described above should immediately contact their local GP. Anyone with food safety queries should also contact the FSAI’’.