IKEA has announced the recall of children’s wall-mounted lamps due to strangulation hazards.
A 16-month old child in a crib died after becoming entangled in the lamp’s cord. In another incident a 15-month old child in a crib became entangled in the lamp’s cord and near strangled. In both incidents the child pulled the lamp cord into the crib.
IKEA has urged all customers that have an IKEA SMILA wall-mounted lamp to check immediately that the lamp and cord are out of reach of children when in a cot or playpen and securely fastened to the wall. Loose lamp cords can present a strangulation hazard to infants and young children. Accessible cords should always be kept out of reach of young children.
Speaking about the latest safety recall Liam Moloney Product Liability Solicitor in Naas Co Kildare said today “IKEA have confirmed that a total of 23 million of these lamps were sold worldwide. The lamps measure about 11 inches high by 11 inches wide. They have a 7-foot long electrical cord with an in-line switch and take a 25-watt light bulb. The lights have been sold in 8 different designs.
Any consumer who has purchased these lamps should immediately stop using them and contact Ikea for a free repair kit. No consumer should use these lamps until the repair kit is installed.