An Injury Solicitor has claimed today that Landlords could be held liable for any injury caused to Tenants as a result of their failure to install carbon monoxide alarms in rented properties.
Liam Moloney, a Naas based Solicitor said today “there have been a number of tragedies involving carbon monoxide poisoning in Ireland in the last number of years. A carbon monoxide alarm should be a priority in homes along with a smoke alarm. Carbon monoxide is a highly toxic, odourless gas to which people can be exposed to through faulty gas appliances. It is a common preventable cause of death from poisoning worldwide.”
Mr Moloney continued “carbon monoxide alarms can be used as a back-up to provide a warning to Tenants in the event of a dangerous build-up of CO. Tenants should insist that their Landlord has their gas appliances checked by the appropriate Engineer and Tenants should ensure that they see the certificate to prove that it has been carried out”.
Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headaches, chest pain, vomiting, dizziness, drowsiness, distortive vision, breathlessness and stomach pain. Exposure to high levels can also cause brain damage. Anyone who is displaying the above symptoms should immediately get fresh air and then consult with their GP to be checked for carbon monoxide poisoning. They should also ensure that the appliance is no longer used until it has been inspected by a qualified service agent.
Warning of the potential legal consequences for Landlords from injury claims Mr Moloney added “failure by Landlords to install CO alarms and have them regularly tested could leave them open to be being sued by injured Tenants.”