Last Halloween over 1,200 children attended the A&E unit of Dublin’s Temple Street Children’s Hospital with burns and scolds.
There were over 75 fire work incidents alone requiring trips to hospitals in Dublin last year. Commenting on the latest figures, Liam Moloney, Product Liability Solicitor, said today, “parents should be very careful when purchasing fireworks and children’s costumes. Fireworks can cause burn and eye injuries and people should only attend fire work displays that are run by professionals and properly organised. Children should not be allowed hold fireworks at any time”.
He added “many children have also been injured by lead contained face paints. Costumes should also fit well and should not restrict children’s vision particularly when they are crossing the road”.