The Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency in the United Kingdom has recalled alcohol skin preparation pads, swabs and swab sticks manufactured by H&W. All pads manufactured since 2007 up to and including April 2010 have been recalled. These pads have been found to contain potential bacterial contamination which may lead to skin infection.
Action to Be Taken:
If you supply these swabs, quarantine them and do not use the affected products.
Recipients of drug administration, kits or needle exchange packs which include the affected swabs-
- Do not use the affected swabs.
- Use an alternative product for skin preparation or, if appropriate, alternative means of skin preparation.
- Dispose of affected swabs safely and securely.
Action to Be Taken By:
All those who supply and use these affected swabs, drug administration kits and needle exchange in particular-
- Pharmacists and needle and syringe programmes
- Supply departments should immediately discontinue using these swabs and refer any people who have used these swabs to their General Practitioners.