The injuries Board confirmed that they awarded in excess of €24million compensation for 826 claims for workplace accidents in 2013. This was compared to €22milion for the previous year.
The average award for a workplace accident in 2013 was €28,886 and the highest award was €432,000 which related to a fatal accident claim. There has been a year on year increase in the number of awards made as a result of accidents in the workplace which may be related to the increasing numbers in employment as the economic recovery continues.
Analysis of Employer Liability Awards in 2013..
- Slips, trips and falls continue to the most common accident type accounting for almost one third of all awards for workplace accidents.
- 80% of awards were under €38000
- Majority of awards were to workers in the 25-34 age groups.
- Women received an average award of €27,441.
- Kildare workplace accident victims received an average pay out of €33,264
- There were 37 awards made to Kildare workplace accident victims in 2013 and the total compensation for the County was €1.23m million.
- Men are twice as likely as women to sustain a workplace injury