A warning has been issued about a growing problem with powerful ball-bearing magnets, such as those used in desktop toys for adults and the risk they can pose also to children.
Product safety bodies have received reports of the problems with the magnets and some children have suffered serious injuries, such as small holes in the stomach or intestines, intestinal blockage or blood poising when magnets are swallowed. Magnets can stick together in the intestine and cause a severe blockage. Symptoms can present as a cold or the flu and parents can sometimes not know the real problem until x-rays are done revealing blockages. Some children are using the magnets to mimic body piercings, placing two or more magnets on opposite sides of their tongues and then accidently swallowing them.
Speaking today, Liam Moloney, Product Liability Solicitor, said “parents should be very wary of buying these magnets for their children. They pose a severe risk of injury and many do not come with the appropriate warnings. They should be kept away from children”.