Bus manufacturer Navistar International Corp. has been hit with a $7.7m verdict in a wrongful death suit brought against them by the widow of a school bus driver who died of mesothelioma after being exposed to asbestos in the schools garage.
The bus driver began working for the school district in the 1950’s. According to Court documents he regularly spent time in the District Garage clocking in and out, submitting work orders and speaking with mechanics. He was exposed to asbestos released into the air when work was done on the buses that had asbestos-containing parts. He subsequently died from mesothelioma in 2012. This is a fatal lung disease linked to exposure to asbestos.
Speaking about the latest asbestos verdict Liam Moloney, Personal Injuries Solicitor said today “over 80% of mesothelioma cases are caused by occupational exposure with the disease usually taking a number of years to develop. Asbestos fibres build up in the lungs causing scaring and inflammation. They can affect people’s breathing and lead to asbestosis, lung cancer and mesothelioma.
“Asbestos was widely used in Ireland as an insulator and fire proofing material and was often mixed with other materials to add heat and fire resistant properties to building materials, machine and appliance parts and fabrics. Irish workers in construction, concrete and coach building were exposed to asbestos and many subsequently died from asbestos related illnesses”.
If you or a family member has been exposed to asbestos products and have been injured as a result please call Liam Moloney today on 045 898000 to discuss your legal rights.