A recent study conducted by Safe Food has shown that 40% of Irish kitchens are contaminated with raw meat bacteria after food preparation.
The results also showed that raw-meat bacteria can last at least 24 hours on kitchen surfaces.
Speaking today, Liam Moloney, Product Liability Solicitor commented on the studies findings, “germs that cause food poisoning can easily spread in the kitchen. Consumers should always follow simple food-hygiene practices. Restaurants and hotels should also ensure that these practices are followed to avoid consumers being injured”.
Over 54% of participants surveyed did not thoroughly wash chopping boards after using them to prepare raw meat and 50% of chopping boards were contaminated with raw-meat bacteria after food preparation. Almost 33% of participants hands were contaminated with raw-meat bacteria after food preparation and over 66% did not properly wash a knife used on raw poultry before using it to cut salad vegetables.