The international legal firm BCV Lex with offices in Madrid and Bordeaux are our Spanish and French international partners. With over 20 years experience BCV Lex has represented more than 3, 500 victims (or their family members) in 35 Plane crash cases. Their area of practice also covers:
- Train Accidents.
- Maritime disasters.
- Road Traffic Accidents.
- Defective Product Liability Claims.
- Tourist and Travel injuries.
The Personal Injury* system in Spain
The Spanish Legal System of Civil Liability has many special features, starting with a detailed scale of how damages are assessed which is known as the “Baremo”, which is compulsory for Road Traffic Accidents. It is also usually applied for almost any kind of Personal Injury sustained in Spain.
The “Baremo” provides a code for the levels of compensation to be paid for individual injuries and other losses. The Law in Spain provides for a direct right of action against the insurer of the responsible party. There is a civil code in France that governs how compensation amounts are assessed. Spanish Law provides compensation for temporary injuries, personal loss, financial loss and compensation for permanent injuries.
In many cases where Irish Tourists are injured while on holidays in Spain, they can sue the accommodation providers insurer directly without having to sue the hotel also. Many of these claims can also be pursued in Ireland under EU Regulations but the assessment of compensation will be based on Spanish or French Law.
Time Limits for taking Spanish Compensation Cases
- Time limitation varies upon the Legal nature of the Claim itself:
- Personal Injury Cases have a Statute of Limitation of 1 year which begins to run when the victim is able to claim.
- The limitation period for Product liability claims is 3 years which begins to run from the date of the accident or when you fully recover whichever is the later time.
- Defective services provided to consumers can be between 1 and 3 years to sue.
*In contentious business a Solicitor may not calculate fees or other charges as a percentage or proportion of any award or settlement.*
For further information please email email@example.com or request a call back using the form below.
Dublin Office: 01-8717577 Naas Office: 045-898000 FreeFone: 1800-200-249