What is NEC?
Necrotizing Enterocoli, commonly referred to as “NEC” is a serious gastrointestinal condition that primarily affects premature babies. NEC inflames the baby’s intestinal tissue, ultimately causing the tissue to die or severely decay – if the tissue dies, the gastrointestinal tract is severely compromised leading the vital tissue to deteriorate and develop holes – which bacteria can then leak through and enter the bloodstream, causing life-threatening infection.
NEC typically forms within two to six weeks after birth and fluctuates from mild symptoms to life-threatening fatalities. NEC can cause destruction of a baby’s bowels and can be fatal.
Sadly, over 30 years of scientific research has linked the cause of Necrotizing Enterocoli to poorly made baby formulas containing cow’s milk.
No parent should have to watch their child suffer, if you believe cow milk formula is the cause of your infant’s Necrotizing Enterocoli, call our experienced baby formula NEC lawyers today to take the first steps in getting the compensation you deserve.
Symptoms of NEC to be aware of, according to John Hopkins Medicine:
- Green fluid in the abdominal wall
- Decreased bowel sounds
- Food not moving through the intestines
- Trouble breathing
- Slow heart rate (Bradycardia)
- Intolerance to formula
- Diarrhea with bloody stool
- Green or Yellow vomit
- Bloating and swelling of the belly
Can Baby Formula Cause NEC?
Popular baby formula brands like Enfamil and Similac are made with cow’s milk. Medical literature repeatedly proves the inherent link between cow milk-based formula and NEC in premature infants. For over 30 years, doctors have published medical studies proving the adverse and life-threatening effects of cow’s milk on premature infants. Cow milk-based formulas, like Similac and Enfamil, lack vital ingredients, nutrition, and protein that premature babies need to have a healthy development. If you believe your child was diagnosed with NEC caused by baby formula, please contact us today.
Significant Scientific Studies Linking Cow Milk Formula & NEC:
- 2014 – Expert Review of Clinical Immunology found significant evidence that cow milk formula leads to NEC at much higher rates than traditional breast milk.
- 1900 – The Lancet published a research case study involving over 900 premature infants who were fed cow milk based formula, finding that they were more likely to develop NEC by up to 10 times.
- 2016 – Breastfeeding Medicine published a study involving over 1,500 infants that determined there was a lesser chance of NEC among infants who received breast milk compared to alternative options.
- 2019 – Cochrane published a case study involving over 1,900 premature babies that found cow milk based formulas were seven times more likely to lead to NEC than breast milk
- 2011 – The U.S. Surgeon General released an official “Call to Action” to support breastfeeding of premature infants. The Call to Action states that premature infants who are fed cow milk formulas are more likely to develop NEC by 138%
Sadly, the scientific data connecting cow’s milk to this life-threatening diagnosis is strikingly clear. If you have had a premature infant who has suffered from Necrotizing Enterocoli, please contact our experienced NEC baby formula lawsuit solicitors in Ireland, here at Moloney & Co! Combined, our team has many years of experience fighting big companies to help out clients win their personal injury claims* and our results speak for themselves. Contact our NEC mass tort lawyers today, to start your claim.
Who Qualifies for Compensation*?
Parents of premature infants who developed NEC after consuming formula made with cow milk may have legal complaints against popular cow milk-based formula companies like Enfamil and Similac. It is possible you may qualify for compensation through a NEC baby formula lawsuit if your baby was:
- Born Prematurely (Before 37 weeks)
- Diagnosed with NEC
- Fed Enfamil or Similac formulas
Enfamil Baby Formula NEC Lawsuits
Enfamil baby formula was created by Mead Johnson Nutrition who have long failed to warn medical professionals and parents about the harmful connection between NEC and their cow milk-based ingredients. If your child was fed any of the following products and suffered from NEC or NEC symptoms – you may qualify for an Enfamil NEC baby formula lawsuit.
- Enfamil Human Milk Fortifier Liquid High Protein
- Enfamil Milk Fortifier Liquid Standard Protein
- Enfamil NeuroPro Enfacare
- Enfamil Premature 20 Cal
- Enfamil Premature 24 Cal
- Enfamil Premature 24 Cal/fl oz HP
- Enfamil Premature 30 Cal
- Enfamil 24 and DHA & ARA Supplement
Unfortunately, these are only a few of the many Enfamil baby formulas that may have caused your child’s NEC.
Similac Baby Formula NEC Lawsuits
Similac baby formula was created by Abbot Laboratories Inc., who have also failed to warn medical professionals and parents about the harmful connection between NEC and their cow milk-based ingredients. If your child was fed any of the following products and suffered from Necrotizing Enterocoli or NEC symptoms – you may qualify for a Similac NEC baby formula lawsuit.
- Similac Special Care
- Similac Human Milk Fortifier
- Similac NeoSure
- Similac Alimentum
- Similac Alimentum Expert Care
- Similac Human Milk Fortifier Concentrated Liquid
- Similac Human Milk Fortifier Powder
- Similac Liquid Protein Fortifier
- Similac Special Care 20
- Similac Special Care 24
- Similac Special Care 24 High Protein
Unfortunately, this is another list of only a handful of the many dangerous formulas given to premature infants. If your child consumed Similac or another alternative cow milk-based formula and developed Necrotizing Enterocoli, please contact our experienced mass tort and personal injury lawyers today – our team will fight for you
Treatment of NEC
The immediate treatment for NEC is to discontinue feeding harmful baby formulas and prescribe powerful antibiotics to combat infection. Often, in this healing process, babies will need to be placed on intravenous nutrients (feeding through the veins) until the infection is controlled and the intestinal tissue is healthy, again.
In some cases, doctors may recommend draining the infant’s GI tract or, in severe cases, they may need to perform surgery to remove tissue affected by decayed intestines – these treatments are complex and can tragically lead to complications like short gut syndrome and many others.
The National Library of Medicine studied a total of 264 infants who underwent surgical intervention for NEC and of the 264 infants, 119 of them had postoperative surgery complications. Sadly, that is 47% of infant patients. The most common postoperative complications were sepsis (9%), intestinal strictures (9%), and short gut (9%). Wound infections occurred in 6%, and the incidence of intra abdominal abscess formation was only 2.3%.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are There Any Recalls of Cow Milk Baby Formula?
- Yes, there have been multiple recalls on cow milk infant formula because it is deficient in nutrients, often causing unhealthy development.
Does Similac Cause NEC?
- Similac baby formula has failed to warn medical professionals and parents about the harmful connection of their cow milk-based formula and NEC.
Does Enfamil Cause NEC?
- Enfamil baby formula is made with cow milk which is a harmful and often life-threatening ingredient to feed infants due to its connection to Necrotizing Enterocoli.
What is the NEC survival rate?
- The mortality rate for NEC ranges from 10% – 50%. Extremely premature infants are particularly vulnerable.
*In contentious business, a Solicitor may not calculate fees or other charges as a percentage or a proportion of any award or settlement.