Health Regulators in the UK have warned people not to buy or use potentially dangerous unlicensed Chinese medicines sold online after some products were found to contain excessive levels of mercury or led.
The Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) has advised that the products affected are as follows-
● Bak Foong pills – used to relieve menstrual discomfort.
● Fung Shing Paij Tian- Ma Wann- used to relieve arthritis and headaches
● Shi- Hu Ye Guang Wan and Nai Chang Ming Yan pills – both used to improve vision in adults.
The batches of the bak foong pills were contaminated with mercury while the other three medicines contained led. The toxic effects can cause abdominal pain, anaemia, changes in blood pressure, reproductive disorders such as miscarriage, weakness, concentration problems, kidney and brain damage. The toxic effects of mercury include irritability, tremors, memory loss, insomnia and concentration problems.
There is no evidence that these products are available on the UK market but they could have been purchased over the internet or from people travelling from Hong Kong. They also could have been purchased by people in Ireland.
Speaking about the safety warning, Liam Moloney, Healthcare Solicitor in Naas said today ‘’ anyone who has purchased these products and consumed them should immediately seek the advice of their GP. This warning again highlights the dangers of buying unlicensed herbal medicines. These medicines contain toxin impurities and the side effects can be serious’’.