There are many people in Ireland who have experienced serious adverse side effects from the use of these devices. Over 83,000 TVM lawsuits have been filed in the United States involving over 25 different TVM products.
The products involved in the Trans Vaginal Mesh litigation include products for pelvic organ prolapse and stress urinary incontinence. The vast majority of the products involved in the litigation are made from synthetic polypropylene mesh. These vaginal polypropylene meshes are permanent implants and have been proven to degrade in the human body.
WHAT ARE THE PROBLEMS WITH TRANS VAGINAL MESH ?
- The arms on the prolapse mesh kits and the incontinence slings contract and tighten after implantation, causing a roping and pulling effect in the body. This contraction of the mesh and tissue surrounding the mesh cause women permanent pelvic pain and pain during intercourse.
- Polypropylene vaginal meshes were based on hernia meshes and are not compatible with delicate vaginal tissues.
- Polypropylene is a foreign body that causes an excessive inflammatory response in the woman’s pelvic floor which leads to increased contraction and pain.
- Some of the products have rough saw-like edges to the mesh that cut tissue and cause erosions of the mesh, often leading to pain with intercourse. These erosions can happen years after implantation due to micro motion of the mesh in the body.
- Polypropylene mesh degrades in the body, which leads to excessive, chronic inflammatory response.
- When mesh erosion occurs, the exposed mesh typically has to be excised from the vaginal wall, as the exposed mesh interferes with intercourse and can cause infections.
- If the mesh continues to erode of the patient is having chronic pelvic pain or dyspareunia, all or most of the mesh will need to be removed surgically.
- Removal of all of the mesh is a very difficult procedure and Doctors are not able to get out the portions of the arms deep in the pelvis.
- There have been a number of significant verdicts against a number of different manufacturers in the United States.
If you had one of these products inserted and have had problems with the product since then you may be entitled to be compensated for pain and suffering. Moloney Solicitors are currently assisting many women affected by this device in advising them with regard to their legal rights.
If you have been affected by this issue, please feel free to email Liam Moloney, Solicitor at firstname.lastname@example.org for further advice.